Friday, October 10, 2008

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Me

When we first moved into our house we were able to get a bunch of peaches from our peach tree in back, and we canned peaches and peach jam. The last couple of years with the weather and such we haven't done it again because no peaches. Well we ran out of peach jam and I wanted more. Our peach tree again didn't produce so Wednesday we took a road trip to Brigham City and bought us some peaches. Now we have a plethora of peaches and we are going to have a plethora of peach jam. Corey spent all day yesterday, while I was working, starting the jam. He got 14 bottles done before I got home. That is pretty good considering all that must be done. First you have to blanch the peaches, then you have to basically smash the peaches, and then you have to cook the peaches to a boil with pectin and then once it is boiling while you are still stirring it you add the sugar and then continue stirring it until it boils and do that for 4 minutes. So by yourself it is a lot of work. When I got home we got back to it. Corey did the blanching and the smashing and I did the stirring. We got 19 more bottles done together. I got a couple battle wounds from this project, but at least we will have some peach jam.

We started with four boxes of peaches piled to the top. We are down to two boxes.

What a mess


Final product

I had a long sleeve shirt on and still my wrist got burnt. You can't see very well from this picture but I have a burn blister to prove it.

3 comments:

Pam Emmons said...

Hey, I'm not sure where you guys live, but next time you need peaches, you ought to try Manning's peaches in Fruit Heights. They have the best peaches I have ever tasted.

Shannon said...

I am so glad I didn't bottle anything this year. I have grapes if you want to try jucing this year

Brooke said...

I can't believe he would do this on his own. I would totaly have to bride and beg! That's awesome. I love peaches. That sucks you had to buy them when you have a tree.