So earlier I talked about Corey elk hunting. Well he had a tag for both elk and deer and since he missed his shots on the first hunting trip we decided to go hunting up Farmington canyon. One night after work I met Corey so that I could be his driver. We had to bring the kids because they are with babysitters enough as it is. Corey drives up the canyon until we get to the part where he can hunt and then we switch and I am the driver. I get so nervous driving his truck because I am afraid that somehow I am going to break it. Now this isn't my first rodeo in helping Corey road hunt. I helped him last year and he never got anything so good for me, but not so good for Corey. See I can eat meat, but if I have to see the poor animal dead and everything that goes with it I don't do so well. I just feel so bad for the animal. So this time going up the canyon I just expected the same as last year and Corey never really getting a good shot or we just don't see anything. Well all was going well and all we saw were a couple of red necks which is a fun story, but I will leave that to another time. As we were driving back down the road I spotted a deer. Corey got his range finder out and found out that it was more than 80 yards and pretty far up the hill. As he continued contemplating this deer, I was still scanning the hill and I happened to see yet another deer this time a lot closer and not so far up the hill. This was Corey's chance so I did as he has told me in the past he got out and I started slowly driving up the road to keep the deer's attention. He pulls back and lets go of the arrow and smack he hit the deer. (Poor deer) I felt so bad but Corey was so excited and I knew that we would use the meat so it wasn't like murder or anything. Corey knew he got the deer good. At this point the question was do me and the kids just sit in the truck while he does his thing? Do I leave the kids and go take his picture with the deer? We chose option number three, which left me trying to hike up the hill with two little kids and no trail. As we were hiking up the hill there was an awful smell and to a pregnant woman breathing heavy due to being heavier than usual and tired all the time the smell was magnified. The smell was a dead deer decomposing right where we were trying to get up the hill. I told the kids don't look at it just keep walking and Camrey says, "I can't my eyes won't let me stop looking at it." She said some other things that Corey was giggling at while he was searching for his deer. I made the kids sit on a fallen tree as I helped Corey search. I found the deer and said, "I think it is down here." Corey said, "I know I see the blood, it must be somewhere close." and I said, "I know it is right here." So Corey comes down, we take the picture, let the kids see, and then I take them back to the truck so Corey could do the gutting. It started getting really late and dark and I was hungry and so were the kids. I finally asked Corey if he needed help and he said if you want. So I helped him tug the poor dead deer to the truck.
8 months ago






2 comments:
Wow the poor deer's death is all your fault!! ;) I was traumatized the first time I saw a dead deer as a kid so I am glad your family had a good time :)
Gross! I'm sorry, but I'm glad Mike doesn't hunt. I eat meat but I don't like to see its face beforehand.
Post a Comment