Monday, January 19, 2009

Rantings of a pregnant, working mother

Ok, this post is not being written to make anyone feel bad it is just me needing to get some things off my chest. First, I must address the pregnant rantings. I am constantly saying how fat I am and that... I can take the fat jokes. I always feel like I am a turtle stuck on my back because when you are pregnant it is just not as easy to move around when you have the belly. My issue is when I walk into my place of employement and some of the employees have to state the obvious, "Wow! you are getting big. How much longer do you have?" I know I am getting big. That is what you are supposed to do when you are pregnant. There is just no getting around the growing belly. It happens. So I can joke about getting bigger, but I don't need anyone seriously telling me that I am getting bigger. I know...
Now that I have that off my chest, the next rant I have is when people ask me if I am going to continue working after the baby is born. I know that the ideal thing for every woman would be to stay home with their children and raise them without having to put them in a daycare or have someone watch them while they have to go to work. I just don't know how that is possible. When Corey and I purchased our home we had to get the loan based on both of our incomes. I don't see where anything has changed from my first or second child to allow me to stay home with my third. Believe me I would love to be a stay at home mom. I have toyed with the option of starting a daycare in my home, but that also poses to be an issue. If I start a daycare you are not guaranteed to have those kids coming to your home. What if their parents lose their job? You don't get paid unemployement when you are self employed. There is also a lot of work that goes into having a daycare. I have researched this. Plus when you have a daycare in your home you are still not giving your own children your full attention. You are giving attention to your children plus 5 or 6 other children coming into your home. So at this time I still plan on working at my place of employment after the baby is born. I will have 8 weeks off to spend with the baby, but then back to work. I hate to do that, but in order for us to keep our home this is how it is going to have to be.

6 comments:

Becca Jo said...

See don't you feel a little better after a little ranting? Me too lets keep it up :) Hang in there I think you are great!!

Pam Emmons said...

Do what you have to and don't let anybody make you feel bad. I worked until my oldest was 14 months, and then it just didn't make sense for various reasons. I love working, and can't wait to go back to work full time. Enjoy the time you have with them. They love you the same.

Debbie and Lane said...

I hear you - on all counts. Who watches your little ones for you - I'm in the middle of trying to figure out where to put my little one when maternity leave is up.

Shannon said...

Ranting always makes me feel better too....If you decide to do daycare...hats off to you..no way in hell could I do that (BTW I never swear, so you can see how serious I am)...but everyone has to do what works for them. Your kids love you know matter what! Actually being home with my kids I think they think I am the wicked witch of the west...everything has its pros and cons!

The Andrews said...

So I have to first say that when I saw you a few weeks ago I didn't think you looked big at all. You are one of those people that look so cute when they are pregnant! I wouldn't worry what others think about you having to work. I would have to work if Jon wasn't able to work overtime. You have to do what you have to do. My parents both worked growing up and I think I turned out okay. Your kids will love you either way. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your rantings. I am always critiquing Brad on proper etiquette around prego women. I say, "You don't tell them their getting bigger. If you MUST make a comment, say the baby is getting bigger, not the mom." I'm sorry, but I did have to laugh through your post. I had a good smile.

PS, I nominated you for most Kreativ blog